On optimization and owls

I like optimizing things. I find enjoyment in slowly and steadily chipping away at a problem, knowing that I'm getting closer and closer to some end point. A point at which all will be good, no problems will exist (in that area of my life) and I can finally relax and just execute without any friction. This trait is one that has served me very well over my career as a professional poker player. Making things into a game with an end point where you can actually "win".

However, I've noticed recently that it can be a big hindrance to overcome when it comes to actually getting stuff done. I started studying psychology at university after 6 years outside of academia, and have therefore been forced to face the ugly truth about some of my study habits. I wasn't learning information at the pace I was hoping, and it was stressing me out. "Do I have ADHD, do I just learn slower than other people or am I just doomed for a life of suffering as long as I'm in school?". While all of these things may still be true, one thing I noticed through paying attention to myself was this; I burn a significant amount of energy while studying questioning "am I doing the right/best thing with my study time at this moment?". This led to me switching back and forth between tasks, feeling stressed for not getting anything done, and quitting. Since I had subconsciously set the bar at "doing what is optimal", the starting cost was very high.

So too with getting this blog started. I had the idea for it at the end of 2022, and have been postponing it for a bit more than a year now. When I asked a friend for some advice/feedback on how to go about it and he sent me this image as a response: 


He didn't really need to say more.

Trusting the process
At some level I am aware that this fantasy of mine, optimizing and then relaxing, is an illusion. Not only does this end point not really exist, but I don't even, really, want to get there. I actually enjoy the feeling of being on my way to some place. What I actually enjoy, it turns out, is trust in the process. And for that there needs to be acceptance that that the process is messy. So lean to enjoy the mess. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On rolling while rolling

On strain and rest